Magical Miniatures

If you love all things magical and miniature you are in the right place.

About me and my blog

I am a mother of three and work on a market stall. In my free time I love to make magical miniatures. It all started with my gran who spent hours when I was a child teaching me how to make do. This entailed mending and fixing and making things from scratch. My dolls house consisted of cardboard boxes with windows cut out, beautifully decorated and all furniture hand made. We sat for hours making clothes and accessories for my dolls to the envy of my friends that all had the same generic stuff. So thanks gran for the inspiration. I hope you enjoy my art and my blog. Thanks for visiting.

Tuesday 1 April 2014

Scenes in a box

I decided that I liked the witch in a box idea I used for a gift and decided to do a couple more. This time I left the witches out and did a knitting box and a sewing box. I think they would make great gifts.
I started by taking a small box, folding it flat and cutting it so that when put back together a door is formed. I then covered the inside with the paper I had chosen to use before fixing the over lapping flaps to the outside of the box. Once secure I put the box back together and covered the outside with a contrasting paper.
I found that you can get books of patterned paper in all sizes for scrap booking. It works out cheap and there is a great range.
I had a pack of transfers with flowers on them so I used a couple on the doors to the boxes then added a ribbon to one and a rope to the other door to create half of the lock. I finished them off with beads. On the side of the box I stuck a bead to finish off the lock.
Inside the first box I created a sewers scene. I used a picture of a shelving unit with material and cottons on stuck to a piece of balsa wood inserted into the back of the box, I added a mannequin, sewing machine with material being sewn upon a small table and some bobbins of cotton, tape measure and scissors.
The second box has a nanna sat in her rocking chair knitting, next to her is a basket of wool and knitting needles. In the corner on the wall is a shelf with a vase of flowers.
Every thing is totally handmade in both boxes.


















  

No comments:

Post a Comment