Magical Miniatures

If you love all things magical and miniature you are in the right place.

About me and my blog

I am a mother of three and work on a market stall. In my free time I love to make magical miniatures. It all started with my gran who spent hours when I was a child teaching me how to make do. This entailed mending and fixing and making things from scratch. My dolls house consisted of cardboard boxes with windows cut out, beautifully decorated and all furniture hand made. We sat for hours making clothes and accessories for my dolls to the envy of my friends that all had the same generic stuff. So thanks gran for the inspiration. I hope you enjoy my art and my blog. Thanks for visiting.

Friday 14 March 2014

1.12 scale working chandelier

I want working lighting in my dolls house but I want everything to be handmade so I don't want to use the lighting you can buy without at least changing it.
I took a ceiling light and extracted the light fitting, bulb, wire and plug throwing the old plastic housing away.
From an old broken mobile I had a round wire frame with a wire cross through the centre. As soon as I saw it I knew what it was going to be turned into. I found a black flat bead and a circular black bead with large holes to fit the wire through. Gluing one to the other it created the top of the chandelier.
Threading beads onto fishing wire I attached them around the rim of the mobile piece to create the crystal droplets. To keep them in line I weaved a line of invisible thread through the top beads.
Once done I attached a piece of an old bracelet around the rim of the mobile piece to finish it off. 
When the glue dried I split the wire of the light fitting so that it would hang properly within the shade. After passing the wires through the top of the frame I secured them together with tape, added a dab of glue then secured the bead top.
I think the overall affect is great and can't wait to add it to the ceiling of my dolls house and light it up. 




No comments:

Post a Comment